Friday, January 15, 2010

Everything Brownies



I debated what to call these for a while. 'Everything But the Kitchen Sink Brownies'? Too long. 'If It Ain't Broke Brownies'? Confusing. 'Turtle Brownies'? Eh. 'Dulce de Leche Swirl Brownies'? Not descriptive enough. In the end it does't matter. They're superb. Not to mention they're the lovechild of Joy the Baker's Old School Fudge Brownies mixed with a bit of inspiration from David Lebovitz's Dulce de Leche Brownie recipe.



I thought about just making the entire DL recipe but I'm so addicted to Joy's batter that I figured 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' (hence the name consideration). Typically, I'll make these brownies with walnuts and chocolate chunks and they're divine. But I've been meaning to toss in some readily available, always in abundance dulce de leche. And so I did. Heaven help me.

Everything Brownies


  • 1 1/3 c. flour
  • 1/2 t. baking powder
  • 1/4 t. salt
  • 150 g. butter
  • 3/4 c. cocoa powder
  • 2 T. strong coffee
  • 1 2/3 c. sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 t. vanilla extract
  • 3/4 c. chopped walnuts
  • 1/4 c. chocolate chips or chunks
  • 200 g. (or 1 c.) dulce de leche
Line a 9x13-inch baking pan with aluminum foil - I used a glass baking dish is closer to 8x12 inches. Grease foil.



Combine flour, baking powder and salt - set aside. Combine butter and cocoa powder in a double boiler, add coffee and stir to melt ingredients - set aside to cool slightly. Whisk together eggs and sugar, add vanilla. Slowly add chocolate mixture to sugar mixture. Add flour mixture. Fold in the nuts.



Pour half of the batter into the baking pan. Add half of the dulce de leche in dollops - drag a knife through to swirl. Add the other half of the brownie batter and repeat with the rest of the dulce de leche. Sprinkle on the chocolate chips. Bake for 25-30 minutes if using a glass baking dish - or until a knife inserted comes out without crumbs (don't be fooled by clinging dulce de leche, though). 'Too Much of a Good Thing Brownies'? As if. These are already gone.

1 comment:

Katie said...

Given that David Lebovitz's dulce de leche brownies are too die for (I only made them once, but the flavor is etched into my tastebuds' collective memory), these must be even more incredible. I am all over this recipe!